The Lemex Expander roll is a spreader roll fabricated from an extruded aluminum shell and a series of individual elastomeric bands. These bands span the aluminum shell and are connected to cams on each end which provide the web spreading action. Positioned correctly in the web path, the substrate will hit the expander roll where the bands are at their contracted position and exit the roll where the bands are extended, creating a spreading effect across the substrate. The amount of spreading can be adjusted simply by changing the location on the roll in which the web enters and exits. This is accomplished by repositioning the expander roll through shaft within its mounts.
Depending on your substrate, the elastomeric bands will begin to wear down until they eventually reach a point where the outside diameter of the bands no longer protrudes above the surface of the extruded aluminum shell. Once this happens, the web spreading effect will be diminished and the bands need to be replaced. A unique feature of the Lemex is that the 26 band runs across the face of the roll are individual bands, making it possible to replace a single band should one become damaged. In the event a band or bands needs to be replaced, the procedure is as follows:
- Cut Chord(s) to the same length as the face of the aluminum extrusion.
- Using crimping pliers, place a clip on one end of the chord(s) approximately ¼” in from the end.
- Remove the end covers from the rolls – there are three set screws in each cover.
- Remove the damaged/worn chord(s) by cutting the clip from one end.
- Slide the new chord(s) in and stretch the chord so that it sticks out far enough to place a clip in the other end approximately 1/4″ from the end.
- Repeat as necessary to repair all of the damaged/worn chords.
- Put the end covers back on.
Elastomeric Band Information
- The elastomeric bands are fabricated from an FDA approved translucent silicone typically used in food, cosmetic and pharmaceutical applications. The bands have a high tolerance for elevated temperatures (400°F continuous/500°F intermediate)
(NOTE: Consult Lemtech prior to utilizing the roll in an area of elevated temperature as the bearings and other mechanical component limits can be lower than that of the bands.)
- Cleaning: It is recommended that the bands/roll face be cleaned with warm water if necessary. The use of solvents, especially acetates, can shorten the life of the bands by causing hardening/swelling, especially if the bands are submersed or exposed for a long period of time.
- Laminating and embossing
- Winding and slitting
- Coating and printing
- Other – Send us a sample and we will gladly evaluate it
- Anodized aluminum inner shell
- Elastic cords
- Lightweight, durable construction
- Low deflection vs. length ratio
- Ball bearing mounted for smooth, vibration-less running
- Precision machined cams
- Long service life
- Adjustable while running
- Drive pulley available for low tension applications
- Designed by experts in the field of web handling